Thursday, March 17, 2005

Kite Fest: What went wrong? And The Piston Broke Meetup.


(Click to see a BUNCH of images)

Well. I'm back. Lemme reflect on last Sunday.
The weather was great! I bit windy for two wheeled riding, but nice none the less.
Headed out to Zilker Park to peep out the 77th Annual Kite fest (it was rained out the Sunday before).... and... It looks like I wasn't alone. Nope. Every human with a mode of transportation was also headed to Zilker. Traffic was dumbfounding. I talked to some people who placed the blame on the busses. Not that it wasn't great to have a park-and-ride to the venue, but the busses couldn't get to Zilker because of all the traffic! If you thumb through the images, you'll see the traffic that I speak of. It was so nasty that I had to turn around and forget about it... and I was on a SCOOTER! I really felt bad for the moms with 5 kids in the back of their Suburban.

The city needed to block off a path from the parking zone all the way to the park for busses only. Oh well, maybe next year.

After that fiasco, I headed to Jo's to meet up with Piston Broke. Our local, infamous, scooter club. We had a great time and even took a moment to strike a pose. Then we checked out the 60's event going on at the LBJ library. One of the few free and good things to do in Austin.

(soap box: Wassup with that anyway? Yeah, sure, there's some other fun free things in the ATX... but there are many things that SHOULD be free and arn't. Like that Christmas Bazaar where they were chargin' like $10 at the door... to SHOP! And Zilker charges to park on the weekend. At least we got great places that make up for it, like the Central Market free Concerts. *steve steps off the soap box*)

Well, lemme go back to before we left Jo's. While I was heading to Zilker, I saw two guys driving some strange 3 wheeled scooters. I shot some pictures and asked if they could meet up with us at 2:30pm so the other scooter heads could gawk. The guy I talked to was RC Beall, and he said "Sure! See you at 2:30." and they were off. When they did arrive, we had a chance to talk. RC Beall owns Coffee Traders, a VERY successful coffee roaster and distributor. Well, not only does he roast coffee, but he also sells these 3 wheeled freaks of the scooter world. The Bajaj 3-wheeled utility series. Check them out here. They were pretty cool and very eye catching. Lots of people were hovering around to check it out and RC even gave some of us a ride down SoCo. Good fun!

Well, I'm still catching up from being outta town. So I'm gonna stop now. If you look at the pictures and see one you want, just shoot me an e-mail and I can send you the original 3.2MP image so you can print it and hang it on your wall. Ciao!

Posted by Hello

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home