Wednesday, March 23, 2005

SxSW Report: MF Doom disses his peeps


(Stan Lee says: This was all prophesized in Sub Mariner #13 back in 1972)

I used to be a big fan of hip-hop back in the day (1984). I even had my share of groups and albums... but my love of hip-hop began to wane over time and pretty much collapsed during the whole "Who's better, Tupac or Biggie?" battle... Frankly, I think they were both over-rated.

Well, it was somewhere around 2000, when I heard this dude MF Doom. I was fascinated by his flow and then THAT'S when a good friend of mine, Martin, filled me in and said that MF Doom was formally Zev Love X from KMD... KMD just happened to be one of my favorite groups ever in Hip-Hop, so I feverishly began tracking down all his releases and have stayed pretty up to date, even though he releases an album every other month under a different moniker.

So... back to South by Southwest. I decided that since I missed him LAST year at SxSW, that no matter what I would check out his show this year. -cut to Saturday Night 11pm- I'm riding around in circles looking for a parking place downtown. After an hour, found a place that costs $10. Got to Emo's... Had my big honkin' camera with me... Doormen tell me "no cameras allowed". I return camera to parking garage. Come back... Pay $10 to get in. Have beer... Wait.... Wait... Wait... 1:30am rolls around (about the time Doom is supposed to step up), and Aesop Rock says "Sorry folks, but Doom will not be here tonight. His curfew is at 2am, so he's not going to be able to make it." I took it as a joke, but sure enough... He didn't show.

One rumor from APD says "then someone who worked there told me that he told his tour manager he wanted a limo to bring him there and she thought he was being disrespectful and they got into some huge argument and he decided not to come on."

I'm not sure what happened, but I am sure that I was disappointed... like when Dubya was put back in office... but I digress.

The only thing that brightened up the situation was something Stan Lee posted on the MF Doom forum. The comic above says it all (click to see it larger).

Anyway. Doom! If you're out there. Why don't you show Austin some love and kick it one time... Pro bono. I'll make arrangements with Red Fez so you can grab the mic even if it's for 15 minutes. That will make it all better. Aight?

You can hear some free samples here, here,
here and guest shots here and here. HEAR HEAR! Ya heard? (be sure to right-click and open in a new window or tab 'cause I was too lazy to add the html code.)

Posted by Hello

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah. I saw you. You were running around after the show shouting DOOOM! DOOOOOM!

12:46 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

I was NOT running around shouting "DOOM! DOOOM!"... I was sorta moving toward the stage... and I might have lightly yelled "Doom!", just once.

You make it sound like I was makin' a scene or somthing. I mean... the cops didn't even have to handcuff me and it was all cordial at the end... hugs and kisses and stuff.

...tryin' to make me look all crazy and stuff...

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home